Rugby is a fast, physical, and intense sport. With the average player making more than 20 tackles per game, it’s no surprise that one in four players is injured during the course of a season. In addition to scrum caps and pads, one of the most important pieces of equipment rugby players need to have in their bag to keep themselves protected is a well-fitted mouthguard.
On our rugby page, we take a closer look at how mouthguards have been and are used in the sport before talking about how you can go about choosing the mouthguard that will be right for you. This blog previews some of the information we share on the page, so keep reading to learn more.
A Look at the Use of Mouth Protection in Rugby
The earliest gum shields were used by boxers in the nineteenth century and made with a wide variety of materials like sponge, cotton, and even wood. It wasn’t until the 1950s that mouthguards began to gain wider acceptance across a variety of sports, rugby included.
Today, whether or not mouthguards are necessary in rugby depends to a large extent on where you play:
- England Rugby doesn’t require all players to wear mouthguards, although it does stipulate that school players above school level need to use them.
- Rugby Australia encourages players to wear mouthguards, but it doesn’t mandate them.
- The New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU) requires its players to wear mouthguards.
- In the United States, USA Rugby says mouthguards should be used by players.
Like This? View Our Other Sports Pages!
Our sports pages take an in-depth look at mouthguard use in a variety of contact and non-contact sports such as:
We’ll be adding more sports soon, so stay tuned!
Finding the right mouthguard for you and your sport is a very individual process and, at the end of the day, the right mouthguard is the one that fits you best, has the features and technology to keep you safe, and boasts the certifications to prove it.
Whatever sport you play or level you are at, we encourage you to take safety into your own hands (or mouth) and keep yourself protected by choosing to use a mouthguard.
At Makura Sport, our mission is simple: to provide you with mouthguards that exceed expectations and make us the protection of choice for athletes around the world. Contact us today to learn more!
Read more from Makura:
- Makura Appoints Sidelines Sports as Its Exclusive Distributor in Canada
- Safety in Sport: Why Mouthguards Matter in American Football
- 4 Signs That Your Mouthguard Is a Good Fit
Latest posts by Makura Sport Team (see all)
- Safety in Sport: Why Mouthguards Matter in Basketball - August 16, 2019
- Why Mouthguards Matter in Gaelic Football - July 15, 2019
- Why Mouthguards Matter in Football (Soccer) - June 15, 2019